Pages

Sunday, 25 January 2015

Long drive to Delhi : 40 - Baroda City

From Shirdi we continued our journey in Alto 800 towards Surat via Dang. After overnight stay in Surat we proceeded to Vadodara and we found it to be a beautiful historical city.

Baroda or Vadodara is located on the banks of river Vishwamitri about 130 km from Gandhi Nagar, capital of Gujrat. The city has had various names as Vadpatraka (leaves of banyan tree) or Vadodara. English travellers called it Brodera. In 1974 it was officially named as Vadodara. Well connected with rest of the country, it is third largest city of Gujrat.

Baroda state or province or area had been under Gupta dynasty, Chalukya dynasty & Solanki dynasty. It came under Sultans in 1297 who were later overthrown by Mughals. In 1721 it came under the rule of Gaekwads of Maratha Confederacy & later under Gaekwad dynasty as an independent state. It continued under Gaekwads till 1949 when it was merged in to Indian Union.

Rule of Maharaja of Baroda state Sir Sayajirao Gaekwad III (1863 - 1939 ) is considered to be golden period. During his reign many institutions & buildings including Laxmi Vilas Palace came up. Some photos of Baroda City:

In the middle of Baroda is Sur Sagar Lake, formerly known as Chandan Talao. 120 ft tall statue of Shiva - Sarveshvar Mahadev - was installed in 2002. The pond was polluted with rubbish. Clean India campaign is yet to reach there. 

Diwani Court

Lehripura Darwaja or Western Gate was constructed in 1558

Mandvi Gate or North Gate was built by Sultan Muzaffar (1511 - 1526) presumbly for collection of toll. It was renovated in 1736 by Damajirao II & in 1856 by Ganpatrao Gaekwad

Kirti Stambh was built in 1935 to commemorate 60 years of rule of Sayajirao Gaekwad III. The lion atop the pillar is said to be old, facing east with back towards palace. This marked decision of the King to move into Vanprastha  

One of the several gates to palace complex

Block of apartments

Kashi Vishvanath Temple



Post a Comment