Pages

Sunday, 22 November 2015

Hawa Mahal, Jaipur

Pink City was established by Maharaja Jai Singh II. The construction started on 18 November 1727 & was completed in four years. Most of the construction of walls, ramparts, shops & other buildings is in pink or reddish sand stone & hence the name Pink City. Another anecdote about the colour of city is that in 1878 Prince of Wales visited Jaipur when the city was painted pink all over.

The Pink City has an fortified enclosure having seven huge strong gates. It is spread over large nine rectangular blocks two of which were retained for palace, gardens & administrative buildings and rest seven blocks were allocated to the general public.

In 1799 five story high Hawa Mahal was added to the Palace complex during the reign of Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh. It was designed by Lal Chand to facilitate royal family members to watch processions & street scenes without being seen as they had to maintain purdah. Some photos:

Hawa Mahal 

Rear view from first floor

View of Pink City from a Jharokha. 

View of the street below

View from the top

Back side of Hawa Mahal



Post a Comment